Top tips for understanding the care and use of outdoor stainless steel appliances and accessories:
– Most grades and forms of stainless are not environmentally stain or rust proof. Although the word Stainless appears in the product description name, one assumes you set it up and leave it alone. This is not the case. You should give your Island and or grill some love and it will last you a long time.
– The standard stainless material used in the Stainless BBQ industry is #304. One of the alloys of this material is Nickel which is fairly non-corrosive in a non-corrosive environment and is also non-magnetic.
– Always look for #304 Stainless throughout the grill, not just the grill box, all the briquette trays, hood, etc.
– #304 Stainless is an expensive material and has proved to be a workhorse for outdoor use in normal environments.
– Some manufactures use a combination of #443 Stainless and #304 returning tougher and longer lasting metal combination. I know of one manufacture that uses 443 in all their grills, Summerset.
Key items that will compromise, corrode, cause rust in your Stainless Steel Grill:
– Without care, Salt, Salt water and sea air, over time, will affect and potentially corrode almost any stainless steel.
– The outer shell on stainless appliances should be cared for on a weekly bases, yes weekly. We have found that you use a general cleaner to first clean the grill shell, using a general purpose cleaner like Fantastic, Windex with ammonia. After you clean your entire grill, doors, drawers, and refrigerator, and wipe it off, apply a specific good general stainless steel cleaner / protectorate. In 20 years of Grill maintenance, Hands down, ZEP Stainless Steel products produce the best and longest lasting results as a cleaner and beautifier on the market. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Ask for your free cleaning kit when ordering your new grill from TheGrillFather.com.
– The closer you are to salt water, the bigger the risk of corrosion, and the faster your outdoor stainless appliances will tarnish or corrode, IF not cared for.
– Proper card of your Stainless Steel Grill will extend the life of your outdoor stainless appliance for years.
– Important Tip – If you are constructing a new BBQ Island, Be ware of many Building materials such as Pool Chlorine, Cement, Stucco, and tile materials, all will have an immediate affect on the stainless steel products. Chemicals used in stone masonry, tiling, grouting, cement dust, sealers, cleaning acids will compromise the material. Your stainless appliances should not be in the area of construction until the construction process is completed. Immediately wipe of the grout off any exposed stainless with a soft wet sponge will leave it’s mark. Tape your Stainless appliance off during any grout or tiling construction.
– Tree saps, bird droppings, pool chlorine, dog urine will affect your stainless appliances.
– Your dogs shacking-off after a swim in the pool will all accelerate the spots, markings, or corrosion process.
– Leaving the product in the box outside can create moisture, which can cause the cardboard and other packing material to react with the Stainless steel.
– Any Direct contact with carboard on Stainless Steel will mar the finish.
We encourage you to comment with your own Tips and experiences.
We have spent time putting together a simple and effective kit that will remove the grime and yellowing of your grill over time. Check out our Grill Maintenance kits